Saturday, 1 March 2014

DIY mason jar sconces


 I started this project 2 years ago. It is only now that I am considering it done and share worthy. Don't get me wrong, I was using them before, they just weren't finished. By not finished I am referring to the cord. The ugly white, plastic cord which was hanging out for all the world to see.

Here's where we started:

Ă…RSTID Wall lamp IKEA
Ikea


 I found the Ikea sconces (pictured above) at a thrift store one day and knew I could put them to good use; but I wanted something a little more rustic and dramatic. So off came the shade and out came the black mat spray paint. Then I fitted a mason jar to the sconce using the same process I described HERE. Finally, I wrapped the length of the cord with jute. I know I could have disguised the cord in other ways but I really wanted something textural. Wrapping jute is something I loath, probably why it took me years to get around to doing it. However, even though I hate the process I do love the result.



I started this project in the midst of the mason jar mania. I know the whole trend has grown a little tired; and I recently considered replacing these sconces with something else; but in the end I couldn't. I am kinda attached to these guys and I think they fit with what's happening in our family room. I have canned the mason jars in other areas of the house (we had them everywhere). So a couple here and there can't be all bad can it?



You can check out lights I've worked on HERE.
To see lights that are inspiring me go HERE.

9 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love this, keya! you are so good at diy light!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

lighting, i meant.

Katie Nathey said...

I love anything mason jar related and this is awesome! I would love it if you shared it over at The Makers Link Party going on at my blog right now. Hope to see you there!

http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/03/free-printable-2-legit-2-quit

Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

Abby said...

Such a cute idea! I love the mason jar lamp shade!

Angela Santaniello said...

So good! Love them in that space. :)

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Alison Agnew said...

I absolutely love this sconce! Would love for you to share at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison
Nancherrow

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a charming DIY sconce. Thanks so much Keya for sharing it at my Nifty Thrifty Tuesday party. It will be featured at this weeks party.

Blessings,
Linda

Suzan Sweatman said...

This is SO cool - I have to pin it - would love these outside around my patio ( but think they're gorgeous for inside too! )
Thanks for sharing!

Suzan Sweatman said...

This is SO cool - I have to pin it - would love these outside around my patio ( but think they're gorgeous for inside too! )
Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...